I’m giving two people DJ lessons this week, which got me thinking about ways to teach the craft outside of endless beatmatching practice:
– Mix with a single cut, nothing more.
– Mix with no cut at all, start to finish.
– Mix with no EQ.
– Mix with only EQ.
^^ These ideas are not about fader chops: they’re about track selection.
– Mix records that someone else picked for you.
– Mix records from your collection at random.
^^ These are about creativity.
– Hold a mix for as long as possible.
– Mix with the fader up.
^^ OK, these two are about beatmatching. It is a bit important.