Still writing grants. Trying to avoid phrases like “My research will heal the sick and save the unbelievers” and “in accordance with the prophecy”. This is harder than you think.
– Got the new David Byrne / St. Vincent record, and it’s so Talking Heads, it really is. Maybe less African rhythms and more brass band, but a fine record just the same.
– Also obtained the complete string quartets of Benjamin Britten, of which No.3 is the runaway winner.
– Did a draft of the third part of DREAM | CITY, totally not sure about it.
– Bret Victor on how to teach programming. I don’t totally agree with him (I’m pretty sure that typing remains the best way to unambiguously tell a computer what to do), but he makes about a billion good points besides.
– Why are animated gifs still around? It’s 2012, and the only ubiquitous video format is the .gif. How did this happen?